lundi 9 août 2010

Topic of the day: Should a child be allowed to have "fashion choices"?

Shiloh in boys swim trunks
























Angelina Jolie says her daughter Shiloh chooses her own boyish clothes and even cried over having long hair. Shiloh, 4, likes to dress like a boy.


Angelina Jolie on Shiloh and her "fashion choices"
“It’s not my choice. I have a very strong-willed four-year-old girl, who tells me what she wants to wear and I let her be who she is. I think people think kids should be a certain way, but I feel they should wear what they feel like wearing and they should express themselves. Shiloh cried one night and said, ‘Please cut my hair off. I don’t want to have long hair.’ I’m not going to leave it long because somebody thinks I should.”
Hmmmm, I see. So if a child wants to start wearing make-up, contact lenses and high heels at 4, you let them?

Shiloh and her older sister Zahara

















































I'm not a mother yet, but when I become one, I don't think I would indulge my four year old daughter's 'boyish' fashion choices. She's four, how do you know the type of haircut and clothes you want? That's my duty as a mum until the child grows to a certain age...say 18 10? Or maybe the best way to raise children is to let them express themselves and parents learning to adapt to what their children want?

What do you think? Please remember, the imperative word here is CHILD!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire